1. Sunscreen prevents melasmas, which are tan or brown facial discolorations. Melasmas are a cosmetic concern that affects mostly women. There are treatment options for melasmas, but wearing sunscreen can prevent them.
2. Every year almost 5 million patients are treated for skin cancer. In the most recent study done, 3.5 million cases were diagnosed in 2.2 million people. In the past three years more patients have been diagnosed with skin cancers than all other cancers combined. Sunscreen decreases the development of skin cancer.
3. Sunscreen slows down the development of premature skin aging as well as wrinkles.
4. When you sunburn, you are damaging cells and blood vessels and weakening the skin. The ozone layer refers to a region of the earth’s stratosphere that absorbs most of the suns ultraviolet radiation. Pollution containing chemicals are depleting the ozone layer which helps shield us from these harmful rays making sunscreen even more important.
5. Sunscreen helps prevent blotchiness on the face and the appearance of red facial veins.