In a world that seems to run on filler treatments and BOTOX, I’ve begun to notice a shift—more and more people are seeking longer-lasting cosmetic solutions, especially millennials. They are uninterested in returning every couple of months for touch-up treatments. However, just because these more invasive procedures are trending doesn’t necessarily mean they are right for you. For any procedure, it is important to do your research and weigh your options before scheduling an appointment. This is especially true when deciding between a neck lift and KYBELLA® at our Scottsdale plastic surgery center.
Consider these facts when choosing the procedure that is right for you:
- Neck lift: This is an outpatient procedure performed under general anesthesia that lasts about 4 to 6 hours depending on the extent of correction needed. A neck lift not only reduces the fat under your chin, but it also addresses the skin and underlying muscles. I begin by making an incision under the chin and behind your ears. I then remove unwanted fat, tighten the muscles, and trim excess skin. The remaining skin is re-draped for a smoother, younger-looking appearance.
- KYBELLA: On the other hand, a KYBELLA treatment only takes about 15 to 30 minutes per session. Patients typically need 2 to 4 sessions to achieve their desired results. First, a local numbing agent is administered in the treatment area. Then, a number of small injections are made in the fat under the chin during the treatment. It is an ideal “lunchbreak” procedure for people who are on-the-go.
- Neck lift: After a neck lift, patients have about a 1 to 2-week recovery period before they can return to work. Many patients experience some bruising and swelling in the neck area. It’s also common for patients to have a sensation of tightness or pulling in the days following surgery. Any discomfort during these first few days can be managed with prescription pain medication.
- KYBELLA: One of the reasons behind this treatment’s popularity is that it requires no downtime. It is not uncommon to experience mild pain, swelling, bruising, or redness after treatment. However, patients can return to their normal daily activities, including exercise, immediately after their appointment.
- Neck lift: You’ll begin to see the results of your neck lift procedure once the swelling has subsided. After a few months, you can expect to see the full effects of the surgery—a tighter, smoother, and more contoured neck. There will be minimal scarring because the incisions are placed discreetly.
- KYBELLA: You may begin to see some results just a few days after your treatment. However, it generally takes weeks to see final results because most patients need multiple treatments. Most patients get 2 to 4 treatments spaced about a month apart for best possible results. With each treatment, more fat melts away. The results last indefinitely as long as you maintain good lifestyle habits and a stable weight.